Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quilt Shop Expedition Success

Well instead of trying to finish current projects today I went to the quilt shop to buy supplies for two upcoming classes. And boy did I come back happy!  Here's the long version:

In October I went to PIQF, my first big quilt show.  It was AWESOME and I found a booth selling bundles of fat sixteenth batiks, which were perfect because I needed some small scraps in a few specific colors that I was lacking (green and brown) for my animal alphabet quilt.  I LOVED those fat sixteenths.  Yes, they are small, but they are perfect for applique and after you use a piece you don't have tons of leftovers.  They really met my needs, and after the show I was kicking myself for not buying even more fat sixteenth bundles.  I even searched online for them, but the smallest I could find were fat eighths.

Fast forward to today at the quilt shop.  I am digging around the fat quarter area and I see these bundles of fabric all wrapped up.  I look closer....batik scrap bundles!  EXACTLY what I was looking for back in October! At my very own local quilt shop!  Each bundle contains around 6 batik fabrics in coordinating colors of various sizes, but really most are fat eighth sized.  And the cost of each? $3!  I felt like I was in heaven.

I grabbed about every one of these in sight, then talked myself down and put a few back.  I ended up coming home with eight of these bundles.  Here is my wonderful take, all spread out:
There's barely room for them all on my floor!  I am just so happy.  Each one has a different gorgeous design that's a joy to look at.  I am so happy that I have a new resource when I need scraps for various projects.  Plus, let's be honest, a lot of these pieces are pretty sizable.

Oh, and I also bought supplies for my "cat bag" class.  I am doing the eggplant cat.  I luuurve the purple and green colors!  This one will be really fun, and I will make the cat out of all my new batik scraps. ;)
That's lime green mesh for the bag! A good sturdy tote.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time shopping and found some things that you really needed! I love going to quilt shops. I can always find something to buy! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Heather those are some seriously gorgeous fabrics! I love batiks, have fun with them! Can't wait to see your eggplant kitty bag! :)

    ReplyDelete