Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Celtic Solstice Part 3

Well for the first time in the Celtic Solstice Mystery, I am done with a clue in time for the Monday link-up! Click on the image to view others' quilts in progress. I am really enjoying seeing all of the different color schemes, and I can't wait to see how all the finished quilts will compare to each other!



Doing half square triangles this week was a nice change from last week's chevrons, which were certainly more involved. I was really impressed with the Easy Angle ruler as well. Half square triangles always confound me (I ALWAYS have to print templates because I don't want to deal with the math!) but this takes all of the confusion out of it. I found these guys to go very quickly and easily.



With these small pieces, I have been having some trouble with ends getting sucked into the throat plate. I don't really know if there is a way to prevent this...


Here are the finished pinwheels. I pressed the seams open to reduce the bulk. In general they came out much cleaner than my chevrons and didn't require tons of squaring up.


In other news, I continued to work yesterday on my Catvent kitty heads.  I tried to get a long shot so you can see the color gradient.



Do you see the gap?  I sure do! There needs to be an intermediary step between the orangey-red and light orange. Unfortunately I only have a single fabric in that color range! Oh well. I have really enjoyed pulling out all of my boxes of fabric and going through it to find the perfect color combinations.

I am heading home for the holidays tonight but am bringing my Celtic Solstice supplies so I don't fall behind! :)


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your progress on Bonnie's Celtic Solstice mystery, but I have to say... those cat heads are very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with triangles getting sucked into the throat plate. A single hole straight-stitching plate is a solution, but I can't get one for my machine. Anyway, your pinwheels look fantastic, and your cats are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you have a Bernina you can get a straight stitch throat plate for it , works like a champ just don't forget it is on and try to zig zag oops broken needle! Don't ask me how I know!!! Lol your half square triangles are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you use the Easy Angle to trim the pointy corner so it's like the flat corner, that will eliminate the "sucking" down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those cats! Are you sure you will want to part with the finished quilt even for a good cause? Some lucky person will be think it is the cat's meow!

    ReplyDelete