A word on my fabrics (actually a mini rant!). I bought most of the fabrics for this quilt from Joann's. Since I don't know whether I will like it and what I will do with it, I didn't want to spend a ton of money on fabrics. Every time though, I get a little frustrated. In this case, I bought a lot of skinny quarter yard cuts for that "scrappy" look Bonnie's quilts go for. In trying to square these guys up, I found that each was off by on average an inch. The worst was off by about 3 inches..ouch! At one point I just stopped squaring up the fabric because I was losing so much in the process. I think part of the problem is the time pressure they place on the people at the cutting table. Also making them cut with scissors instead of a rotary cutter. But it is definitely frustrating to come home and lose so much of your fabric due to poor cutting.
And these are four fat quarters, all from Joann's. These guys come to the store prepackaged from factories, so you would think they would be cut correctly. Can you see how far off from each other they all are? Pretty nuts.
Back to the mystery. Here is a shot of my finished blocks from part 1. My camera was giving me such a hard time that I started taking ipad photos. The quality isn't great but at least they aren't blurry and I can get pretty accurate colors. After mistakenly cutting yellows instead of pinks (pinks was supposed to be my stand-in for Bonnie's orange) for Part 1, pinks are now replacing Bonnie's yellow.
I found Part 2 slow but easily breakable into chunks. First I cut all my pieces, then spent a while marking diagonal lines on 200 little squares with my frixion pen. After reading a bit about ergonomics, I moved my cutting area to my breakfast bar. It was great! I was able to cut while standing or seated without bending over.
|Cutting set up at the breakfast bar!|
|Baggie of scrap triangles. Hopefully I can find a use for them!|
|Waiting to be trimmed.|
As a result, my final chevrons were often wonky. I ended up spending a good amount of time squaring them all up in an attempt to correct some of the innacuracies.
|Leftovers from squaring up my chevrons|
Many met up correctly like this
But some just didn't line up, like this one!
Well I still have about 10 chevrons to make...I accidentally made 60/40 going in each direction instead of 50/50 so I have to go back and remake some of the chevron sides. Talk to you next week after Part 3!