Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Figuring Out QAYG

So today I finished my last block from my BOM quilt.

Here's yesterday's block, with it's new mini-border. It looks like an afterthought but it does tie the block together a bit.



And here is today's block! The block that got lost in the mail was a star, but I didn't want to do the exact same one, so I browsed the the "Oh My Stars" quilt-along from Thought and Found (which I really really want to do someday, these quilts are so cute!) and picked this star, which incorporates all the rainbow fabrics in the line.


So here are all the blocks laid out (March is missing because I gave it to another member of my guild to present on my behalf at the next meeting since it will be in the morning). Frankly I think it's a bit of a mess.  This to me is the downside of precuts: they often include ALL of the fabrics from a line, when including all those fabrics in a single quilt might not be a good idea.  Color to me is one of the most important aspects of quilts, and this quilt has no color consistency whatsoever. Boo. My fault for picking this particular layer cake; the new one I just bought has only shades of pink and brown so I think it will make a much more consistent looking quilt when I decide to finally use it.
Now it's time to figure out how the heck to quilt it.  I previously decided I was going to do "quilt as you go" and bought backing fabric and batting, and even cut some backing fabric...but didn't write down notes anywhere of what I was doing.

So now I'm not quite sure which QAYG method I had decided to use and why I cut my backing fabric at the particular size I did. I'm also confused about the method in general, as there are definitely multiple, very different ways to do it, which require different prep from the start.

Looking back at the size I cut my backing pieces, I think I was going to do the method where you add binding strips to connect the different blocks, thus I would quilt it now with no sashing and add that later. Most things I have read want a tiny sashing, but I am going to go ahead an try for a wide sashing (3") to create 2.5" of sashing between the blocks.  Now with such a wide sashing I'll have to cut the batting bigger than the block...err...guess I'll try this with only two blocks first and attempt to stitch them together and see how it goes.

The other thing I can't figure out is how to add a border under QAYG. Is it even possible? I guess I could quilt a really long strip and stick it on? I measured out my blocks and I estimate that without a border my finished quilt will be 45" x 60."  This is pretty small, so I think it will definitely need a border. The BOM suggests adding a 7" border to each side to get a final quilt of 59"x 73", a much more reasonable size (although I guess by my calcs mine would be only 52"x67"...can I not do math or something? EDIT: DUH it's 7" to each side so 14" added overall...so turns out I can NOT do math!) But I am not sure how to add a border using QAYG.

Anyways, I guess I will just dive right in and figure it out.  Anyone have experience in QAYG and have any helpful tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment