Pages

Friday, November 7, 2014

Fabric Choices

Well I have been staring for many days at my fabrics for Bonnie's Grand Illusion mystery quilt, and something is not quite right. Here is what I've got right now:


The colors aren't great in these photos but I chose to leave them because I want the photos to be comparable to each other...so hopefully all of the colors are screwy by the same amount! 

These colors just aren't speaking to me. They're okay, but I'm not in love with them. And color is totally crucial to a quilt, so if I don't love them now, I doubt I will love them after cutting and sewing thousands of tiny pieces.

So...which color is wrong? The yellow is admittedly not my favorite. I don't normally use a lot of yellows and oranges. So I tried some other alternatives:


I do kind of like how this grey looks, but the color palette stills feels incomplete.


This is actually a very yellow-y lime. I kind of like where it's heading, but we've already got plenty of green and "cool" colors. 

Then I thought, maybe the yellow isn't the problem. I feel like these colors do need some kind of yellow-y hue to tie them together. I have always been bothered by the green and the aqua because to my naked eye they look practically identical. And then when I take a photo of them they look very different. 

So I went ahead and got rid of the green, and put in this nice royal purple instead.
 Hmmm...I like where it's going. How about lime instead of yellow?


I like it! What do you think? I'm going to keep thinking about what I want to do. Luckily the first clue doesn't come out for three more week!

No comments:

Post a Comment