Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Frustration on the Landscape Quilt

Hi to anyone who comes from WIP Wednesday.

Here's the background about what I'm working on this week: I am making my first-ever art quilt/landscape quilt, whatever you prefer to call it.  I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm trying to enjoy the ride.  The quilt is of a scene of Denali National Park.  I'm currently at the machine embroidery stage, and have committed to doing a little bit every day to make sure this thing progresses at a good clip.  I've been working my way from the bottom of the piece (sheep!) to the top.

Since I've never done machine embroidery, there's been a bit of ripping out going on:

Sheep #1's nose looked like a dog nose:
...so I ripped it out and made it look more sheepy, although it's a little low in his face now.


Big sheep had a weird eye that just didn't work
 This eye makes a lot more sense!
He also had a bit of a frown going on, as you might have noticed. So I made him look more cheery.
Now I drew on these guys with pink chalk pencil, and it hasn't really come out.  Any tips?



But today I am stuck with a big dilemma about my piece:

Yesterday I finished the foothills on my Denali quilt, and I don't really like how they came out.  :(  I am currently debating whether to rip it all out, or just soldier on.  Normally I would be okay with taking forever waffling over this, but I need to get this wallhanging done by August 15 if I want to submit it for my guild's quilt show, so I need to make a decision about what to do relatively soon.

What should I do? What would you do?

Below are two shots of the mountains, one taking outside and one taken inside.  You can click to see a larger version. Somehow the parallel lines just aren't doing it for me.  I can't specifically describe what I don't like about them, and maybe I'm over-reacting or being a worry wort.  Honestly, do you like them?  The mountains are covered in a layer of tulle under the embroidery, dunno if that matters or not.


Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated...I'm hooking up with WIP Wednesday for the first time to solicit even more opinions.

In terms of WIPs on my plate:

This week I've finished nothing lol, no surprise there.

Still on the to-do list:

  • This wallhanging!
  • The charity wholecloth I'm supposed to be quilting before my guild meeting in August
  • July FMQ (I need to get on that!)
  • Quilted Jacket for my mom (on the back burner a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment