Now that I'm done with Christmas projects, I'm returning to UFOs and trying to wrap up all existing projects by the end of the new year, and before I get too ambitious and start on something else. I am kind of waiting for the new year to start on new projects because I hope to join some BOMs for 2013.
Today I tried to start quilting my owl wallhanging (the one I was hoping to do for Halloween? Oh, yeah....). I am having a big problem with my stitches skipping. I rethreaded the machine and it's still not working. Check out the wing on the owl below.
I realized I haven't switched out the needle so I will try that next. I think the problem has to do with the fusible web making it really stiff and hard to punch through. I can't remember if I used the Heat n Bond lite or Heat n Bond ultra hold since I made this a while ago...hopefully it was the lite. Anyways, this setback is a bummer because I wanted to knock this out tonight. I think I will move onto some other areas of the wallhanging and then come back to the owls.
Anyways, my other finish is the December block for my guild's BOM:
My three colors
The finished block. It's supposed to be a basket but if you turn it upside down it makes a good house.
If you zoom in on that pic you will see that my seams are horribly off - somehow the middle portion is like a half inch wider than the top and bottom portions. Oh well. Piecing does not appear to be my strong suit. I decided to make this BOM a "quilt as you go" which I have never done before, but never a better time to try!
And in final news, I bought Melinda Bula's book "Cutting Garden Quilts."
Okay that's all for now. I am going to tackle that wallhanging again soon.