If you are thinking that you can't see the quilting at all....yep. More on that in a bit.
So when it came time to quilt I spent about half day just looking up ideas online. I was trying to find fillers for behind the applique that wouldn't be too dense but would also fit into all kinds of weird shapes and sizes. I took my old paper applique templates and doodled patterns all over them. I went to the library and got quilting books. I scoured pinterest.
Even though I knew it would be really hard to stitch on a machine, I auditioned this crosshatch...it just looked bland and sterile. I really thought it would be cooler! Maybe it has a bit more flare when stitched.
Miss Pepper was there to lend emotional support.
Now the mono is certainly easy, but the disadvantage is that I did kinda work hard on this quilt and all of the quilting is pretty much invisible. The only consolation is I chose a big fat 30 wt for the back so the quilting stitches actually look quite lovely on the backing!
So I started stitch away and the needle was just bouncing and making a weird noise, although the stitches looked ok. I thought maybe I needed a new needle and finally stopped the machine. To my horror I discovered the throatplate had come loose! And when I pulled it off, I discovered all this underneath!
That's all the lint I managed to extract. Now I DO keep my machine in good repair, but you can tell look at it that this lint is all from the fleece. And I had only just started the quilting! (Come to think of it, now that the quilting's done I should probably give the machine another cleaning!)
Generally I didn't do any marking, but for these triangles I didn't trust myself. I tend to quilt far more densely than I should. This time, I found a design online, resized it to the right shape, printed it, stitched through it with no thread, and then used the perforated paper as a stencil. I got to use my quilter's pounce for the first time! It is basically a chalk filled eraser-looking thing that you rub over stencils and it leaves nice chalk lines. And it did a great job here! Below you can see the lines and then the final stitched leaves.
So without further ado, here are some random close-ups of the quilting. It was rather hard to photograph due to the invisible thread...
I managed to do pretty well at keeping the wrinkles away everywhere except the border. It was interesting how the ease of stitching changed with the fabric (there are 6 different fabrics in this thin strip border). This dark green was especially wrinkly, while the batiks were super smooth.
This cat literally runs over whenever she sees me taking photos! This was supposed to be an elongated spiral but it came out looking kind of identical to the woodgrain I did on another block.
Here's the back of the corner square. I liked how this came out with the curves to counteract all of the angles.
Here's the backside of the cabbage block, with spirals!
And the back of one of those triangle units I showed before.
Well that's it for now, I have just bought the binding and hope to have this quilt finally finished very soon!